Boy have we been busy! We finally finished relocating from one side of the United States, to the other side!
During our travels we stayed at motels, faced very limited food choices, and learned some lessons about maintaining healthy eating habits, and juicing while traveling that we wanted to pass along to you!
We were able to juice a few times while we were on the road, but due to the schedule we were trying to keep, and being tired after driving all day it was a challenge. Being tired from driving all day, not having food ready ahead of time, and being in locations where good food choices were not only limited, but sometimes there were none at all, led to us making some poor choices!
Did we pay for it? Yes… Neither of us has been sick for probably at least 2 years (and last time we got sick, we juiced it away in one day!), and what do you know it, after staying in motel after motel, making poor food choices, and keeping a strained schedule of driving for hours and hours at a time, guess what? That’s right! We got sick!
What We Learned About Eating Healthy and Juicing While Traveling
To keep it to the point, we learned some valuable lessons for how to maintain your health while traveling. We wanted to pass some of these along to you.
- Always, and we mean always, have healthy food with you and in an easy place to access, so that when you get hungry you are not tempted to buy the junk that is oh so available everywhere!
- Plan ahead: Check out towns ahead of you that you may stop at, and see where you can stop to get some healthy foods if you are low. DO NOT assume that wherever you stop, there will be some kind of healthy choice available! (Quite a few times we stopped and stayed in motels where the only food choices were a couple of fast food places, and a gas station).
- Do not rely on your willpower alone to save you in those times where there are only junkie foods available. Believe me, when you have been sitting the car all day for 12 hours, your willpower goes down a whole lot, and it is easy to tell yourself “just this one time, only because there is nothing else available”. One time becomes two, becomes three, becomes four, and before you know it, you are eating junk daily!
- Be realistic: If you are planning to juice while traveling, then you might want to bring some extra cleaning materials with you. (Oh yeah, that’s right, juicing can get pretty messy!) When your tired, sometimes the last thing in the world you want to do is clean up your juicer after using it. So if you do not have the materials to make this easier available, you will probably just pass on the juicing. Next thing you know days have passed, and the juicer is sitting way underneath a pile of stuff in the car!
- Know yourself, and be honest with yourself. Hey, not all of us are the Guru of good health and well being! (Even “Gurus” have moments). Staying on a healthy path in a world full of easily accessible unhealthy junk is hard sometimes! Even if you have the willpower of a mountain and the desire to match it, there will come a time when that gets tested. Be good to yourself, and follow the steps above to give YOU a better chance of staying on your path to better health and well being!
Our Juicing Journey Continues
We came from a place where we had two food coops, a grocery store right around the corner loaded with organic produce options, and another one right down the street. On top of that there were two farmers markets during the week where we could find even more amazing produce! Yeah, we knew we were a bit spoiled with the availability of all of that…
(Someone has some serious unshaven travel face going on below!)
We also knew moving was going to be a challenge, but we needed a change, and a change is what we got! We love our new location, and will be searching every nook and cranny of our new area to find out where the healthiest options are. So far we have found a small natural food store, and a farmers market every Saturday, which we can’t wait to check out! Local gardeners even sell some of their produce from the booths in the market. There are also some organic options in a couple of the grocery stores local to the area.
We will be looking forward to all of this, because some of the produce we just juiced this last week was tired, stale, and for lack of a better word almost completely flavorless. We know there is better out there, and we are going to find it! I imagine there will be a future post about how to find the best produce in your local area, once we have uncovered everything we can here.
Anyhow, I hope this post will be of some help to anyone who is traveling, and trying to maintain their health as well as juicing. Even the best of us stumble, and we do not even consider ourselves the best of us! We, just like you, are a work in progress, and do our best to learn from our own mistakes. This is crucial to getting better, and maintaining optimal health in a world full of junk and propaganda aimed at getting you to trade your health in for a dollar.
Take care of you! You ultimately make the choices that will affect your health, and your life! When you have the time, check back here now and then, we are here to help, and want to be an ally for your health and happiness.
If you have any other tips for maintaining healthy eating and juicing while traveling, please let us know. Not only would we love to hear them, but so would the many other people who come to our site! Ok, enough from me, I really better go make myself a juice now.
Latest posts by Sean Carey (see all)
- Grape Juice Could Be The Fountain Of Youth! - July 3, 2016
- Juicing For Allergies: Powerful Anti-Allergy Juice Recipes Included! - June 27, 2016
- 15 Vegetable and Fruit Juices That Are High In Vitamin C - June 26, 2016