Acne can be a real pain in the rear end. Nearly 17 million people have acne in the United States. That’s a lot!
I personally have struggled with acne until now.
This is when it started. I was about 9 or 10. That’s pretty young! I started to get acne at that age, and it made me feel really self conscious. I had it all over my face and back really bad. I was harassed a lot and got called names. Some guy even called me pizza face. What a jerk!
I went home that day and cried. I tried covering my acne up with foundation and even tried almost every product on the market. I could not get rid of this stuff! It devastated me. I thought as I got older, or became an adult, it would go away. I was wrong.
Later in my teen’s, women would come up to me and say, “I know how to get rid of that stuff.” It felt invasive, and I was humiliated. I know they were trying to help, but it felt inappropriate. It’s like you have a permanent scar on your face, and you feel so insecure about it already.
Then people (who don’t know you at all) say, “I know what will fix that.” Great…. Thanks.
Anyways, time to get to the good stuff.
Below are 27 vegetable and fruit juices that are great for fighting acne. Every nutrient I talk about, in each section, is something that helps combat acne.
Before I get to the vegetables and fruit, here’s a quick list of the nutrients I covered here that help with acne.
- Vitamins A, C, and E are all good for acne.
- The minerals chromium, zinc, silica, organic sodium, and sulfur all help to fight acne.
- Many antioxidants and bioflavonoids help to tame acne.
- Chlorophyll, allicin, lycopene, citrulline, nitric oxide, omega-3’s, and certain enzymes can help with acne.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and moisturizing ingredients can aid against acne.
Juicing For Acne With 27 Vegetable and Fruit Juices!
Note: I’ve placed a “*” next to vegetables and fruit juices that are known to be top fighters of acne!
1. *Apple Juice: Contains apple pectin. It’s a soluble fiber, which is water based. Yes, soluble fiber ends up in the juice, it’s the insoluble fiber that you don’t get a whole lot of. This helps keep you from getting constipated, which in turn keeps bacteria from building up in your system. Apples also contain antioxidants and bioflavonoids, which are antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It also helps enhance the absorption of vitamin C. Apples also contain silica, which is a great anti-inflammatory agent, and chromium that helps balance blood sugar levels.
2. *Juice From Berries: Is very high in antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Berries contain zinc, which is shown to kill bacteria, is anti-inflammatory, helps reduce the amount of sebum production, and is a powerful antioxidant. They also contain silica and omega-3’s.
3. Broccoli Juice: Is high in sulfur, kills bacteria, is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and moisturizes the skin. Broccoli also contains a high amount of vitamin C (more than oranges), contains vitamin E, selenium, and is an excellent source of chromium (53% DRI/DV).
4. *Carrot Juice: Is high in vitamin A, which helps strengthen skin tissue. Vitamin A also helps to reduce Sebum, which is an oily secretion of the sebaceous gland that if too much is produced will clog your pores and give you acne. Vitamin A is also anti-inflammatory, which helps with redness and swelling from acne.
5. *Cilantro Juice: Contains beta-carotene, vitamin E, is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, has antioxidants, is antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal. Whew! That was a mouthful!
6. Citrus Juice: Well, we all know citrus for its vitamin C. It also has antioxidants, is antibacterial and has excellent astringent and exfoliating properties. Citrus is also anti-inflammatory.
7. Celery Juice : Contains organic sodium and other minerals that help hydrate your skin, and phthalides that help lower levels of stress hormones. Celery juice also helps lower inflammation and contains silica.
8. *Cucumber Juice: Contains a lot of silica; a trace mineral. This helps your skin’s elasticity. Cucumber also hydrates the skin and clears out toxins due to its high water content. It’s also anti-inflammatory and helps lessen redness.
9. *Dandelion Greens Juice: This bitter green contains antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E, Zinc and is a detoxifier.
10. Fennel Juice: Is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and is a diuretic. Zinc helps heal old acne wounds, and fennel contains this helpful mineral. Vitamins A, C, and sulfur are other nutrients inside of fennel. It also contains antifungal and antibacterial properties.
11. Garlic juice: Is antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, high in sulfur; selenium; and chromium, and is anti-inflammatory. Garlic also contains allicin, which kills many harmful bacteria and viruses.
12. Ginger and Turmeric Juice: These roots are known for their kick butt anti-inflammation properties. They also contain sulfur and antioxidants among many other benefits. Read more about ginger and turmeric’s anti-inflammation properties.
13. Grape Juice: Contains Resveratrol, an antioxidant, that helps with inflammation. Grapes also contain vitamin C, are antiviral, antibacterial, and contain chromium.
14. Kale Juice: Is a super-beverage! It contains Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, vitamin C, is super anti-inflammatory, contains sulfur, beta-carotene, and antioxidants.
15. Kiwi Juice: Is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin E, antioxidants, zinc, and contains anti-inflammatory properties.
16. *Mango Juice: Contains vitamin A, vitamin C, antioxidants, and silica. Mango helps remove dark spots, is a great astringent, and helps exfoliate the face.
17. Melon Juice: Is high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and contain Omega-3’s. It also contains Lycopene, which is anti-inflammatory.
18. Mustard Green Juice: Is very high in vitamin A. It also contains vitamin C, antioxidants, is a great detoxifier, is anti-inflammatory, and contains vitamin E.
19. *Papaya Juice: Is a melon juice, but I wanted to highlight it’s extra benefits. It has a ridiculous amount of vitamin C and also contains vitamin A and vitamin E. It’s anti-inflammatory, contains zinc, omega-3’s, and sulfur. Papaya has an enzyme called papain, which helps soften and smooth skin, dissolve fat, is anti-inflammatory, and helps cleanse skin.
20. Pear Juice: Contains sulfur, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, anti-inflammation properties, antioxidants, and zinc.
21. *Pineapple Juice: Is slightly high in sulfur and contains vitamin C, vitamin A, is antifungal, antibacterial, and contains antioxidants. Pineapple contains Bromelain, which is an enzyme that helps soften the skin and helps keep inflammation down.
22. *Pomegranate Juice: High in antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, contains vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc. Pomegranate juice also helps reduce cortisol levels, which helps reduce the production of sebum.
23. Pumpkin Juice: Is delicious and healthy and contains vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc.
24. Romaine Lettuce Juice: Contains a good amount of Chromium, and it’s known to stabilize blood sugar. What does this mean for people who have acne? Well, excess sugar in the blood stimulates the sebaceous gland to secrete sebum (an oily or waxy matter). This oily substance is secreted onto the skin, thus creating acne. Romaine lettuce juice also contains a high amount of vitamin A, which helps shed dead skin cells that can clog your pores. Vitamin A also contains antioxidant properties that help with inflammation and help maintain the immune system.
25. *Spinach Juice: Has a healthy amount of vitamin A. Spinach is also high in chlorophyll, which is a green pigment in all green plants that contains many health benefits. As for the benefit of skin, chlorophyll encourages wound healing, promotes cleansing, relieves swelling and redness, and is super high in antioxidants. Spinach contains sulfur which is antimicrobial, helps remove dead skin cells that can clog the pores, and acts as a mild antiseptic to disinfect skin. Spinach is also high in vitamin E, contains vitamin C, chromium, and selenium.
26. Sweet Potato Juice: Is a high source of beta-carotene and vitamin C. This is good for keeping pores unclogged, helps reduce the amount of oil production, keeps inflammation at bay, strengthens the immune system, and other benefits. Sweet potatoes also contain sulfur and chromium.
27. Watermelon juice: Although it’s a melon, and can be categorized as a melon, watermelon has some extra benefits I would like to highlight. It has a very high water content, so it’s good for flushing out your system of toxins and keeping your skin moisturized. Watermelon also contains vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E, which are also great to help prevent and heal old acne scars. This delicious fruit also contains Lycopene and Citrulline. Lycopene is anti-inflammatory, and watermelon has a high amount of it. Citrulline is good for healing old acne due to the fact that it turns into nitric oxide in our bodies. Nitric oxide is said to lower inflammation and kill microorganisms.
I must bring this up, because it’s also an important factor in preventing and clearing acne. It’s not a fruit or vegetable, but it does wonders to the skin. It’s hydrating, so it flushes the toxins from the body that can age your skin. I personally drink a gallon or more a day. Everyone tells me I have great skin, which is weird because I used to have terrible acne.
I have never known anyone who drinks as much water as I do! I am not telling you to drink this much water, I just wanted to use myself as an example that water is great for your skin. Drink up!
Juice Recipes For Acne
The Three C’s Juice
9 stalks Celery
If you want something more precise.
(5 and 1/2 cups chopped) Carrots = 15 ounces juice
(1 and 1/2 cups chopped) Cucumber = 5 ounces juice
(5 cups chopped) Celery = 12 ounces juice
Yields 32 ounces of juice.
We made this our top juicing recipe for acne, because it’s very straight-forward and easy to make yet provides a lot of juice. This sucker provides a quart (32 ounces) of juice!
The Acne Annihilator
1/2 bunch Spinach
1 green Apple
If you want something more precise.
(5 cups chopped) Pineapple = 19 ounces juice
(2 and 1/4 cups chopped) Spinach = 3 and 1/2 ounces juice
(about 1 and 1/2 cups chopped) Green Apple = 4 and 1/2 ounces juice
Yields 27 ounces of juice.
This sweet and tasty juice makes a good addition to your acne juice recipes!
A Trio Of Acne Juice Recipes On One Page
You can find the list of ingredients for each of these three recipes pictured below on this page here.
More Acne Juicing Recipes
Scroll down to recipe #2. on the page.
Scroll down to recipe #4. on the page.
Scroll down to recipe #3. on the page.
Further Acne Resources
Wanting to know more about acne? I wanted to include a few sites just in case you wanted to learn more about acne and how to cure it.
acne.org – A phenomenal site that includes a plethora of information, including forums where you can talk to others who suffer from acne. Daniel W. Kern started this site in 1996, and it’s a great resource to look for multiple ways to cure your acne!
thelovevitamin.com – An informative and welcoming site that focuses on curing acne naturally and holistically. Tracy Raftl, the face and owner of the The Love Vitamin gives off a friendly and caring demeanor that really shines through.
acneeinstein.com – Seppo Puusa, the founder, gives a natural but very real approach to cure your acne with sound research. Plus, he’s from Finland, and I have to give props to my heritage (I’m half Finnish). Go Finland!
Latest posts by Liisa Wilson (see all)
- 27 Vegetable and Fruit Juices That Fight Acne! - June 18, 2016
- How To Make Juice Popsicles (and Make Them Unique) - September 1, 2015
- Beat The Heat With These 10 Cooling Vegetable and Fruit Juices! - August 18, 2015